Note: The following fees apply from 1st August 2018 through to 30th June 2019.
About Our Fees
Our fees are set at a level that reflects:
- The specialised nature of our services. We only help children, teenagers and parents with learning, emotional and social issues and we provide a 100% private and independent service.
- The qualifications and experience of our child psychologists. All staff are fully registered psychologists with postgraduate training in Educational & Developmental Psychology and substantial experience. They are experts in education and familiar with the school environments found at many different private and government schools around Melbourne. They are also employed as permanent staff, not contractors.
- The level of follow-up care and support we provide to help our clients reach their full potential – at school and in life.
Current Recommended Rates
Please note the following are the rates recommended by the Australian Psychological Society (APS) for professional psychological services:
30 minute consultation – $138*
50 minute consultation – $250* (standard counselling session)
76-90 minute consultation – $364* (short assessment session)
91-120 minute consultation – $472* (standard assessment session)
BUT your out-of-pocket cost may be lower than these fees if you are eligible to claim a private health fund rebate or a Medicare rebate.
If you have a valid referral from your doctor you can claim a Medicare rebate of $84.80 for each 50 minute counselling session. Up to 10 rebates can be claimed per calendar year. (Although doctors usually refer for 6 sessions at a time.)
Your out-of-pocket cost will be further reduced if you reach the threshold for the Medicare Safety Net scheme. There are two safety net schemes which operate side-by-side:
- The ‘Original’ Medicare Safety Net
- The ‘Extended’ Medicare Safety Net
If your family reaches the extended threshold Medicare will cover 80% of any future out-of-pocket costs for out-of-hospital Medicare services for the remainder of the calendar year.
Private Health Fund Rebates
If you are NOT claiming a Medicare rebate AND you have private health cover that includes psychology services you can claim a private health fund rebate.
Rebates will vary widely depending on your health fund and your level of cover. If in doubt, please check with your health fund or ask your psychologist for a health fund quote when you visit our office.
We tailor our assessment services to your child’s specific needs and the exact cost will be quoted at your initial consultation. But as a rough guide, a full learning assessment will be approximately $2,200 – 2,400 in total (depending on the tests administered) – spread over several weeks and appointments.
Your total out-of-pocket fee will depend on any private health fund rebates you are entitled to at each of the consultations. (Note: Medicare rebates do not apply to assessments.)
Occasionally there are good reasons for cancellations. However, unlike brief medical appointments, it is nearly impossible to fill a 50+ minute session with short notice. Furthermore, we also dedicate significant time and care to session planning and preparation and there are substantial overhead costs associated with providing you with these services.
For these reasons, we require all clients to agree to the following notice periods in order to use our service:
- For 50 minute appointments we require at least THREE (3) DAYS notice of cancellation
- For a single assessment appointment we require at least SEVEN (7) DAYS notice of cancellation
- To fully cancel an assessment service we require at least FOURTEEN (14) DAYS notice
We hope you find this to be a fair and reasonable policy and we thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.